Shane Mousley & Independent Son Funeral Directors

Follow us on Twitter

Telephone Day Or Night: 01664 561 400


Request a callback

After The Funeral

Once the funeral is over there may still be some things you will need to organise. We will call you a few days after the funeral to see if there is anything else we can help you with.


Memorials are a way to remember our loved ones and can range from headstones at a grave to a simple flower in a garden of remembrance. Memorials provide comfort for many people, giving them a place to visit to remember the person who has died. When choosing a memorial it is important that you have time to reflect on your decision and understand the different regulations that may affect your choice.

The affairs of the deceased

After the funeral there are a number of practical issues that need to be addressed depending on the personal circumstances of the deceased. Below is a checklist of things that may require your attention.

Notification of death

• Employer of the deceased, if appropriate

• Tax office

• Passport office

• Pension provider


• Social Services – cancellation of services

• Hospital/Doctors/Dentist – cancellation of appointments and return of any equipment

• Solicitor

• Voluntary services – meals on wheels, etc.


• Mortgage provider

• Council house tenancy/rent

• Council tax

• Private landlord

• Home and contents insurance provider

• Post Office – redirect mail

• Electricity provider

• Gas provider

• Telephone provider

• TV licence

• Return of any rented household appliances



• Car insurance provider

• Finance provider, if any outstanding payments are due

Personal finance

• Bank account

• Building Society account

• Post Office account

• Credit cards

• Premium bonds

• Hire purchase or rental agreements

• Personal loan provider

• Life insurance provider

Social memberships

• Library books returned

• Cancellation of newspaper or magazine subscriptions or delivery

• Cancellation of club memberships – golf, bowls, etc.

• Cancellation of professional memberships

Change in circumstances

If the financial circumstances of remaining family members or civil partners have now changed, then various benefits or tax rebates may be available. Your local Department of Social Security, Department for Work and Pensions or Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to help.

If there are children in the family that were close to the deceased, you may wish to inform their teacher.

Tel: 01664 561 400 - Fax: 01664 566 337 - Email: